new bruno levy videos

Two amazing music videos just premiered earlier this week, both directed by IDLM Gallery artist Bruno Levy. Bruno has created two unique videos to match tracks from NYC bands The Walkmen and World's End.

Starring IDLM teamster Rila Fukushima, the World's End music video is a nightmarish brew of tentacles and ink. You can see some stills we posted earlier from the video here.







Bruno's video for NYC hipster-kings The Walkmen was shot entirely in Nepal, where Bruno has been living until his recent return to Manhattan. Bruno was kind enough to answer a few questions we had for him, detailing his experience shooting the video.


Where did you shoot the video?
This video was shot in a town called Kagbeni in Mustang, Nepal.

How long did it take to shoot?
The whole process from going up and down the mountain was 10 days, I shot that whole time, time lapses of mountains and the sky, plus the whole journey up which I never used in the final edit of the video. The actually shooting with the kids took about 2 days.

How did you decide on the story for this video?
The story came up when I was walking up the mountain, I knew I wanted to do something with kids, and about village life, about a different life that most people that might view this video get to experience, but then as I was going through different scenarios with my Nepalese friend, he just said happiness. Lets shoot something on happiness. So I decided to strip all plot ideas, to go up find the kid, shoot and see what happens.

Where did you find those kids with the smooth moves?
Lal Devi, the main girl, when I saw her I knew she had that something that makes her stand out, a kind of cross between a child, a boy and a beautiful girl, the swagger, the attitude, something, and I knew I wanted to base the whole thing around her.

The kids, they were so excited to see some one shoot a video and asked they could be in it, worked out perfect.

You shoot all of your videos in stopmotion. Why this format?
Honestly, I couldn't afford a video camera to get this film-like quality. It is restricting but I wanted to work within the boundaries of a certain medium and see what I could come up with. It's easy to become distracted with so many new cameras, formats, technology, tricks, I get confused. My friend used to always say, keep it simple stupid, I always remember that when I'm working.

What did you find the most grueling in the entire process?
Trying to get the videos out into a market, trying to get more good artists to work with, sharing visions.

The most rewarding?
Sharing this beautiful place that I love with other people.

Who's your favorite music video artist?
I've been living in the middle of nowhere for too long, it used to take 30 minutes to one hour to download a 4 minute video in Nepal, granted there was power, I'm just catching up, but there is soo much good stuff out there, and equally too much crap.


View Bruno Levy's Gallery collection
in the store.

Visit Bruno's website.

No comments:

ShareThis